The Start of an Active Life in The Great Outdoors
If you ever wanted to start hiking but did not know where to start, or you were afraid that it would be too difficult, our Rookie to Advanced Hiker program is specially crafted just for you. Hiking is a sport, and being a hiker is a skill of its own. There’s the gear, preparation, mental aspects, and much more.
The Rookie to Advanced Hiker Program is a 12-week course designed to instruct and inspire you to walk the great outdoors. No prior hiking experience is required. By strategically walking the 6 core events of the program, you will become a competent hiker by the end of the course.
Right from the start, we will show you how to walk the outdoors, and everything that is required for your survival and safety — from the basics of keeping yourself safe on the trails to a guide on how to select proper gear. We’ll be there with you every step of the way. This ensures that you take consistent steps towards harnessing the power of walking outside for your fitness goals.
The Rookie to Advanced Hiker program is for you if:
- You have no prior hiking experience.
- You want to start hiking but have absolutely no clue where to start.
- You want to learn hiking with no short-term goals to climb Mt. Kenya as in the Beginner to Mt. Kenya Program .
Rookie to Advanced Hiker Program Schedule
We kick off the program with a one-hour virtual session four days before the first event. The session’s goal is to get acquainted with the team and get a run-through of the program and what to expect. This will include Q&A.
Our maiden expedition to Mt. Kilimambogo is a moderate hiking experience meant to spark your interest in outdoor fitness life. The mountain is located along the Thika-Garissa highway, within the Ol Donyo Sabuk National Park.
2024 Dates: Jan 6
After the first hike, we proceed to a two-hour orientation session at The Nairobi Arboretum, where you get to be introduced to the hiking gear you will need along the way. You shall also be taken through the dos and don’ts of hiking–rules and guidelines to keep you safe, alive, and well on the trails.
On our second hike, we set out to discover the magic of the Kijabe Hills Hike. Our expedition starts at the AIC Kijabe Hospital, cutting through thick forest vegetation, to get to the caves and hot springs. Next, we will conquer ourselves by scaling the three Kijabe Hills. Finally, we shall descend toward the Nairobi-Nakuru Highway, to exit via Soko Mjinga.
2024 Dates: Jan 20
The third hike takes us to our first mountain, Mt. Longonot. The trail starts at the mountain's base, rising steeply on a 3.1km stretch to the crater rim, then covering 7.2km around the crater. Our hike ends back at the gate, covering 13.5km in total.
2024 Dates: Feb 3
As we graduate to the high-altitude trails , our first expedition takes us to the notorious Elephant Hill in Southern Nyandarua. This strenuous hike will introduce you to the unpredictable, harsh weather conditions at higher altitudes and deliver a new experience hiking through the various montane vegetation zones, in preparation for the Mt. Kenya climb.
2024 Dates: Feb 17
Next, we will go on a mission to set our eyes on future goals: the big mountain. Our route choice will be the Naromoru route, as the trail is short, making it possible to trek all the way to the Mackinders camp (4,300m ASL) on a day trip, where we will enjoy glorious views of the peaks--if the weather permits.
The Mackinders hike is a crucial event in the program. Here, we get to experience altitude sickness symptoms to enable us to identify and report the symptoms long before they become severe on a mountaineering expedition.
2024 Dates: Mar 2
Rising to an altitude of 4,001m (13,126ft) above sea level, Ol Donyo Lesatima is the highest of the Aberdares peaks and the third-highest peak in Kenya. On our final hike in the program, we will set out on the reasonably gentle, magnificent Dragon's Teeth trail, hoping to conquer ourselves on Satima Peak. We save the best for last--and the relative ease ensures we all have a good chance at getting to the summit.
2024 Dates: Mar 16
We hope you enjoy the journey and trust that your heart will be fuller and your soul richer, as you march out of the mountain a confident hiker, ready to take on the great outdoors with pride.
Charges, Package & Cancellation Policy
Rookie to Advanced Hiker Program Charges
- Kenyan Citizens & East Africans: Ksh 21,500/=
- Foreigners with Kenyan Residency: Ksh 22,000/=
- 1st Installment - Pay a non-refundable booking confirmation deposit of Ksh 8,500/= before the program start date.
- 2nd Installment - Top up Ksh 8,000/= by day 30 of the program
- 3rd Installment - Clear the package balance by day 60 of the program
Mpesa Buy Goods till 989985
Rookie Program Package Includes
- Progressive training throughout the course of the program:
- Training materials and discussions in a WhatsApp group
- Three virtual Q&A group calls
- Two one-on-one hands-on gear sessions at the Nairobi Arboretum
- Unlimited consulting with various Outdoorer Champions
- Transport from Nairobi and back for all events
- Park fees & charges at all events
- Guide services at all events
- Paramedic services at all events
- A liter of water, glucose, and fruits at all events
Package DOES NOT include
- Hiking gear, clothes, and other personal effects
- Anything else not mentioned in the 'Package Includes' list
Rookie to Advanced Hiker Program Cancellation and Refunds Policy
– The booking confirmation deposit is non-refundable and non-transferable to a future event or program.
– The booking and booking confirmation deposit are transferrable to a different person on or before the program start date.
– Where cancellation is requested on or before the program start date, Ksh 8,500 or 40% of the program cost, whichever is higher, will be retained from the sum paid up. Any excess paid will be refunded in full.
– Where cancellation is requested after the program start date, and on or before day 50 of the program, Ksh 14,000 or 65% of the program cost, whichever is higher, will be retained from the sum paid up. Any excess paid will be refunded in full.
– Where cancellation is requested after day 50 of the program, and before day 60 of the program, Ksh 17,000 or 80% of the program cost, whichever is higher, will be retained from the sum paid up. Any excess paid will be refunded in full.
– No refund will be issued when cancellation is requested on or after day 60 of the program.
– The Rookie to Advanced Hiker in 12 Weeks Program ticket is bundled and may not be split into specific event tickets. Therefore, no-shows may not claim any amount for any event they miss.
– The Rookie to Advanced Hiker in 12 Weeks Program subscription will be put on hold as soon as a milestone payment falls overdue.
– The Rookie to Advanced Hiker in 12 Weeks Program ticket expires when a milestone payment becomes seven (7) days overdue. The ticket is deemed canceled on the expiry date, and the cancellation policy applies.
– An expired ticket may be revived by topping up the deposits paid to the total of the per-event rate for all events in the bundled ticket.
– Participation in the prep hikes is mandatory, otherwise, no adjustments will be made to the final cost.
– No refunds will be issued where participation is denied due to non-compliance with the rules and regulations, safety guidelines, and/or the failure to comply with the minimum gear requirements.
– No-shows forfeit the entire deposits paid up.