Table Mountain Elmentaita
A gentle hike to the other Table
Join us on a hike to the other gentler Table Mountain (unlike the other one in the Aberdares). Located off the Nairobi-Nakuru highway near Lake Elmentaita, Table Mountain is a beginner's delight. Our hike starts right on the highway away from Lake Elmentaita. It continues on a dirt road past a railway station before taking a detour into the woods.
Within no time, the striking Table Mountain summit is in sight; it is hard to miss, with its distinct flat top. We shall then take a rocky scramble up to the peak, where we shall enjoy a snack break and savor the breathtaking views of the Rift Valley features before proceeding down through a narrow passage in the ground. As we take the rest of the path out, we shall battle thorny shrubs and pass by a hot spring before eventually getting back to the highway.
Table Mountain Elmentaita Hike Distance And Stats
Maximum Elevation Gain: 486m
Duration: 4-6 hours
Child-friendly: Yes, 7 years and above
Table Mountain Elmentaita Hike Itinerary
4:45 a.m Meet up at International House Parking, City Hall Way. Boarding opens.
5:00 a.m Departure from International House Parking, City Hall Way
08:15 Arrival at Lake Elmentaita
08:45 a.m Hike Starts
04:00 p.m Departure for Nairobi
- Kenyan Citizens - 3,350/=
- Foreigner with Kenyan Residency - 3,650/=
- Non-Resident Foreigner - 4,700/=
- Citizen Self-drive - 2,000/=
Mpesa Till 989985
How to Prepare for the Hike
- Engage in active cardio exercises such as aerobics, walking, running, cycling, and swimming among others the week prior to the event.
- Set aside the day before the hike for resting--take a break from exercises.
- Increase your hydration at least two days to the hike.
- Purpose to get enough rest the night before the hike.
- If on intermittent fasting or on a diet, take a break in the period one day before and after the hike. This way, you will build up your energy reserves for the arduous task ahead.
- Cut your toe nails!
- Have a generous breakfast at least 3 hours before the start of the hike. This ensures that most of the food has been digested by the time you begin the hike, giving you the much-needed energy while ensuring your stomach is not too full for comfort.
- Use the bathroom before leaving the house to reduce the need for bathroom breaks on the commute.
- Set your mind up for conquering yourself. Hiking is more about your mindset than physical preparation. Once you win the battle in your mind, everything else contributes less than 10%. You can do it!