Table Mountain Aberdares
Aberdares Table Mountain Hike – Max Edition | New Trail
If you ever visited the old Table Mountain trail before it was closed, you are familiar with the maddening steepness it flexed. And if that shocked you, the new Aberdares Table Mountain Hike trail may only be the stuff of nightmares. But then, you are already an advanced hiker!
The 6.2km trail starts at Mikeu, taking you through an initial gentle trek along the forest line. The trail then takes a plunge down to a river crossing. Next comes a shockingly steep, near-vertical ascent for a kilometer to connect with the old trail. Past here is another brief gentle trek, another brief steep ascent, and then onto the final gentle trek through the moorland. The trail ends at the Table Mountain peak, at an elevation of 3,792m above sea level.
Aberdares Table Mountain Hike – Max Edition Distance & Stats
Maximum Elevation: 3,792m
Maximum Elevation Gain: 1,249m
Duration: 8-10 hours
Child-friendly: Fit hikers 12yo and above
Aberdares Table Mountain Hike Itinerary
4:15 a.m Meet up at International House Parking, City Hall Way. Boarding opens.
4:30 a.m Departure for Mikeu Center.
08:30 Arrival at Mikeu
09:00 a.m Hike Starts
02:00 p.m Mandatory turn-back and descent to avoid encounters with wild animals after dusk
06:30 p.m Departure for Nairobi
Mpesa Till 989985
How to Prepare for the Hike
- Engage in active cardio exercises such as aerobics, walking, running, cycling, and swimming among others the week prior to the event.
- Set aside the day before the hike for resting--take a break from exercises.
- Increase your hydration at least two days to the hike.
- Purpose to get enough rest the night before the hike.
- If on intermittent fasting or on a diet, take a break in the period one day before and after the hike. This way, you will build up your energy reserves for the arduous task ahead.
- Cut your toe nails!
- Have a generous breakfast at least 3 hours before the start of the hike. This ensures that most of the food has been digested by the time you begin the hike, giving you the much-needed energy while ensuring your stomach is not too full for comfort.
- Use the bathroom before leaving the house to reduce the need for bathroom breaks on the commute.
- Set your mind up for conquering yourself. Hiking is more about your mindset than physical preparation. Once you win the battle in your mind, everything else contributes less than 10%. You can do it!