Seven Ponds Hike
A short and sweet* hike to a breathtaking destination
If steep trails excite you, the Seven Ponds hike will exhilarate you. Located conveniently between the notoriously steep Table Mountain and Rurimeria trails, the Seven Ponds trail combines the dramatic steepness of her two siblings. It delivers a breathtaking trek across the golden moorland leading to the seven ponds. The 5.5km trail starts near Mikeu center and ends at an elevation of 3,831m at the seven natural ponds in the northern Nyandarua moorland.
Seven Ponds Hike Distance & Stats
Maximum Elevation: 3,831m
Maximum Elevation Gain: 1,048m
Duration: 6-8 hours
Difficulty: Tough; you will need to be reasonably fit to get to the seven ponds
Child-friendly: Fit hikers 12yo and above
Seven Ponds Hike Itinerary
4:15 a.m Meet up at International House Parking, City Hall Way. Boarding opens.
4:30 a.m Departure for Wanjohi Shopping Center.
08:30 Arrival at Wanjohi Shopping Center
09:00 a.m Hike Starts
02:00 p.m Mandatory turn-back and descent in order to avoid encounters with wild animals after dusk
06:00 p.m Departure for Nairobi
Mpesa Till 989985
How to Prepare for the Hike
- Engage in active cardio exercises such as aerobics, walking, running, cycling, and swimming among others the week prior to the event.
- Set aside the day before the hike for resting--take a break from exercises.
- Increase your hydration at least two days to the hike.
- Purpose to get enough rest the night before the hike.
- If on intermittent fasting or on a diet, take a break in the period one day before and after the hike. This way, you will build up your energy reserves for the arduous task ahead.
- Cut your toe nails!
- Have a generous breakfast at least 3 hours before the start of the hike. This ensures that most of the food has been digested by the time you begin the hike, giving you the much-needed energy while ensuring your stomach is not too full for comfort.
- Use the bathroom before leaving the house to reduce the need for bathroom breaks on the commute.
- Set your mind up for conquering yourself. Hiking is more about your mindset than physical preparation. Once you win the battle in your mind, everything else contributes less than 10%. You can do it!