Rurimeria Moorland Challenge
Get Ready to Engage Your Beast Mode
Rurimeria is a beautiful beast. Can you tame it? Despite being the third highest peak on the Aberdares, its 7.5km trail is one of the most exhausting in the Aberdare ranges–and that’s what makes conquering it so rewarding! Traditionally, the Aberdare Ranges are known to have beautiful sceneries. The Rurimeria moorland challenge combines this with a dramatic hiking experience, taking you past three false summits before getting to the actual summit — at 3,860m (12,664ft) ASL.
Rurimeria Moorland Challenge Distance & Stats
Maximum Elevation: 3,860m
Maximum Elevation Gain: 1,190m
Duration: 6-8 hours
Child-friendly: Fit hikers 12yo and above
Rurimeria Moorland Challenge Itinerary
4:15 a.m Meet up at International House Parking, City Hall Way. Boarding opens.
4:30 a.m Departure
07:30 a.m Arrival at Ndunyu Njeru KWS Offices for registration.
08:00 a.m Departure for the trail start point
09:00 a.m Hike Starts
02:30 p.m Mandatory turn-back and descent in order to avoid encounters with wild animals after dusk
EST 06:30 p.m Departure for Nairobi
Mpesa Till 989985
How to Prepare for the Hike
- Engage in active cardio exercises such as aerobics, walking, running, cycling, and swimming among others the week prior to the event.
- Set aside the day before the hike for resting--take a break from exercises.
- Increase your hydration at least two days to the hike.
- Purpose to get enough rest the night before the hike.
- If on intermittent fasting or on a diet, take a break in the period one day before and after the hike. This way, you will build up your energy reserves for the arduous task ahead.
- Cut your toe nails!
- Have a generous breakfast at least 3 hours before the start of the hike. This ensures that most of the food has been digested by the time you begin the hike, giving you the much-needed energy while ensuring your stomach is not too full for comfort.
- Use the bathroom before leaving the house to reduce the need for bathroom breaks on the commute.
- Set your mind up for conquering yourself. Hiking is more about your mindset than physical preparation. Once you win the battle in your mind, everything else contributes less than 10%. You can do it!