Mt Suswa Hike — Half-Crater Circuit
A Hidden Gem in the Great Rift Valley
Mt. Suswa is an underrated gem on the Rift Valley floor. The double-crater shield-volcano promises an unmatched hiking experience and over-delivers on breathtaking views. We are delighted to dive into the enchantment of the Mt Suswa hike all over again this year.
We aim to conquer ourselves by going halfway around the massive crater. Our hike starts at the road head on the edge of the inner crater. Here, we will enjoy breathtaking views across the 5km-wide crater. Our hike around the crater will take us to the summit, rising to an elevation of 2,356m above sea level. Once we conquer ourselves at the summit, we shall return to the road head to board our transfer vehicles back to Nairobi.
Mt Suswa Hike Distance & Stats
Maximum Elevation Gain: 535m
Duration: 4-6 hours
Child-friendly: Yes, 7 years and above
Mt Suswa Hike Itinerary
4:45 a.m Meet up at International House Parking, City Hall Way. Boarding opens.
5:00 a.m Departure for Mt. Suswa.
09:00 Arrival at Mt. Suswa crater road head
09:30 a.m Hike Starts
05:00 p.m Departure for Nairobi
- Kenyan & East African Citizens - 4,700/=
- Foreigner with Kenyan Residency - 5,200/=
- Non-Resident Foreigner - 9,000/=
- Self-Drive (Kenyan Citizens only) - 3,000/=
Mpesa Till 989985
How to Prepare for the Hike
- Engage in active cardio exercises such as aerobics, walking, running, cycling, and swimming among others the week prior to the event.
- Set aside the day before the hike for resting--take a break from exercises.
- Increase your hydration at least two days to the hike.
- Purpose to get enough rest the night before the hike.
- If on intermittent fasting or on a diet, take a break in the period one day before and after the hike. This way, you will build up your energy reserves for the arduous task ahead.
- Cut your toe nails!
- Have a generous breakfast at least 3 hours before the start of the hike. This ensures that most of the food has been digested by the time you begin the hike, giving you the much-needed energy while ensuring your stomach is not too full for comfort.
- Use the bathroom before leaving the house to reduce the need for bathroom breaks on the commute.
- Set your mind up for conquering yourself. Hiking is more about your mindset than physical preparation. Once you win the battle in your mind, everything else contributes less than 10%. You can do it!