Mt. Longonot Hike — Crater Circuit
Take the trek around this massive volcanic crater
Come challenge yourself at Mt. Longonot. Why? You do not need a reason to stay fit. Located approximately 60 kilometers from the capital city of Nairobi, Mt. Longonot hike is a popular escape for outdoorers seeking fun and adventure. At the very basic level, hiking to its rim provides a fitness challenge, with the reward of a spectacular view across the Rift Valley.
The entire Mt. Longonot hike takes 4-6 hours. The 3.1-kilometer trail up the mountain from the gate to the rim of the crater takes 45 minutes to 2 hours, depending on one’s competence. Once you reach the rim, you have the choice to descend or hike all the way around the crater. This adds some 7.2 km to the hike. A trek around the rim typically takes 2-3 hours. Mt Longonot hike presents a good challenge for everyone, kids, beginners, and advanced hikers alike.
Mt. Longonot Hike Distance & Stats
Maximum Elevation: 2780m
Maximum Elevation Gain: 996m
Duration: 4-6 hours
Difficulty: Moderate to hard
Child-friendly: Yes, 7 years and above
Mt. Longonot Hike Itinerary
4:45 a.m Meet up at International House Parking, City Hall Way. Boarding opens.
5:00 a.m Departure for Mt. Longonot National Park.
07:30 a.m Arrival at Mt. Longonot National Park.
08:00 a.m Hike Starts
01:00 p.m Mandatory turn-back and descent
EST 04:30 p.m Departure for Nairobi
Mpesa Till 989985
How to Prepare for the Hike
- Engage in active cardio exercises such as aerobics, walking, running, cycling, and swimming among others the week prior to the event.
- Set aside the day before the hike for resting--take a break from exercises.
- Increase your hydration at least two days to the hike.
- Purpose to get enough rest the night before the hike.
- If on intermittent fasting or on a diet, take a break in the period one day before and after the hike. This way, you will build up your energy reserves for the arduous task ahead.
- Cut your toe nails!
- Have a generous breakfast at least 3 hours before the start of the hike. This ensures that most of the food has been digested by the time you begin the hike, giving you the much-needed energy while ensuring your stomach is not too full for comfort.
- Use the bathroom before leaving the house to reduce the need for bathroom breaks on the commute.
- Set your mind up for conquering yourself. Hiking is more about your mindset than physical preparation. Once you win the battle in your mind, everything else contributes less than 10%. You can do it!