Mt Kilimambogo Hike – Oldonyo Sabuk
The perfect trail for beginners looking for a challenge
We kick off a new Beginner to Mt. Kenya season with gentle trails all over again, and Mt Kilimambogo hike is our first trail of choice. The perfect trail for beginners looking for a challenge to kickstart their outdoor fitness journey, Mt. Kilimambogo is located within the Ol Donyo Sabuk National Park along the Thika-Garissa highway.
The mountain rises to 2,145m above sea level on a gentle 6km trail. The round hike to the summit and back to the gate covers approximately 12km and is typically completed within 4-6 hours of hiking at a moderate pace. If you like a slightly bigger challenge, you can skip the footpath and take your entire hike on the dirt road winding up the mountain. This adds 3km to your hike each way. Expect breathtaking views of the surroundings along the way, as you trek through the virgin forest.
Mt Kilimambogo Hike Distance and Stats
Maximum Elevation: 2,145m
Maximum Elevation Gain: 720m
Duration: 4-6 hours
Difficulty: Fair to moderate
Child-friendly: Yes, 7 years and above
Mt Kilimambogo Hike Itinerary
5:15 a.m Meet up at International House Parking, City Hall Way. Boarding opens.
5:30 a.m Departure for Ol Donyo Sabuk National Park.
07:15 a.m Arrival at Ol Donyo Sabuk National Park.
7:45 a.m Hike Starts
12:30 p.m Mandatory turn-back and descent
EST 04:00 p.m Departure for Nairobi
Mpesa Till 989985
How to Prepare for the Hike
- Engage in active cardio exercises such as aerobics, walking, running, cycling, and swimming among others the week prior to the event.
- Set aside the day before the hike for resting--take a break from exercises.
- Increase your hydration at least two days to the hike.
- Purpose to get enough rest the night before the hike.
- If on intermittent fasting or on a diet, take a break in the period one day before and after the hike. This way, you will build up your energy reserves for the arduous task ahead.
- Cut your toe nails!
- Have a generous breakfast at least 3 hours before the start of the hike. This ensures that most of the food has been digested by the time you begin the hike, giving you the much-needed energy while ensuring your stomach is not too full for comfort.
- Use the bathroom before leaving the house to reduce the need for bathroom breaks on the commute.
- Set your mind up for conquering yourself. Hiking is more about your mindset than physical preparation. Once you win the battle in your mind, everything else contributes less than 10%. You can do it!