Mount Meru 4-Day Expedition +2 Nights Hotel
Journey with us to the top of Africa’s fifth-highest peak
Rising to an elevation of 4,566m above sea level, we’re excited to take you with us on this conquest as we aim to go farther, climb higher, and unlock our mountains. Our trek starts at the Momella Gate on the eastern side of Mount Meru and the adventure takes an action-packed trajectory for the next four days.
Mount Meru Four-Day Itinerary
Commute Day 1: Nairobi — Arusha (overnight stay in hotel)
We leave Nairobi at 6:30 a.m bound for Arusha, Tanzania, where we will meet our mountain guides for briefing. Thereafter, we shall have dinner and stay overnight at the hotel.
Hiking Day 1: Momella Gate (1,500m) — Miriakamba Hut (2,500m)
After breakfast at the hotel, we shall board transfer vehicles from Arusha to Momella Gate, an hour and a half’s drive. At the gate, our lead guide will help process our registration and admission into the park.
We shall then begin our walk through lush forest, teeming with wildlife and birds. You should anticipate to spot giraffes, buffaloes, and zebras. Don’t worry, an armed ranger will accompany us for security.
We shall carry packed lunch on the trail and have hot meals and beverages when we get to Miriakamba Hut.
Terrain: Forest | Distance: 11km | Elevation Gain: 1,000m | Time: 6–7 hours
Day 2: Miriakamba Hut — Saddle Hut (3,500m)
After breakfast, we continue our trek on a steep path in the forest. Anticipate to spot some more wildlife along the way. The trail is thoughtfully chosen to deliver breathtaking views of the Mount Meru crater and ash tray.
We expect to arrive at the base camp, Saddle Hut, in time for lunch. After lunch and some rest, feel free to join the group for an acclimatization hike to the summit of Little Meru (3,820m). The reward of an extra certificate awaits you. Thereafter, we shall have early dinner and retire in anticipation of the early morning summit push.
Terrain: Forest | Distance: 6km | Elevation Gain: 1,000m | Time 4–6 hours
Day 3: Saddle Hut — Summit (4,566m) — Miriakamba Hut
We shall wake up at half past midnight and ready up for the summit push starting an hour later. We shall have only tea and light snacks to ensure we are in perfect shape for the arduous task ahead.
Our first challenge is to cross the steep trail to Rhino Point (3,800m) and then to Cobra Point (4,350m). Next, we take a rocky ridge between the inner cliffs and the crater to take us to the summit of Mount Meru just in time for a glorious sunrise.
Expect breathtaking views of Kilimanjaro from a distance and the heavenly views of the entire Mount Meru from up there. After savoring our summit moments, we shall begin our descent back to Saddle Hut for brunch before continuing down to Miriakamba Hut, where we shall spend the last night.
Terrain: Alpine Desert | Distance: 5km up, 13km down | Elevation Gain: 1,066m | Time: 10–12 hours
Day 4: Miriakamba Hut — Momella Gate
After breakfast, we shall take a shorter route back to Momella Gate via Tululunsi Waterfalls. You should still anticipate animal sightings along the way—this mountain is so alive!
At the gate, we shall have a brief thanksgiving and farewell ceremony with the crew and then board our transfer vehicles back to Arusha for the last night at the hotel.
Distance: 7km | Time: 4–5 hours
Commute Day 2: Home sweet home!
Mount Meru Climb Itinerary Notes
We’ll travel together as a group from Nairobi in pre-procured public shuttle services. Departure is from Nairobi Riverside Shuttle Terminus opposite Jeevanjee Gardens on Monrovia Street, with drop off at the hotel in Moshi, Tanzania.
● You will be guided by our expert guides, who speak English and Swahili, and are familiar with the flora and fauna, culture, and geography of Tanzania.
● Our mountain climbing guides are knowledgeable on altitude-related sickness and are experienced in handling related incidents.
● The Outdoorer team accompanying you includes a skilled paramedic to administer basic first aid in case of injury or ailments.
● Oxygen tanks are provided depending on the group size to be used in case of altitude-sickness-related emergencies.
● Our guides deliver timely updates to the office throughout the climb.
● Regular porters are hired to carry your climbing gear and other supplies.
● Accommodation in the hotel is on a sharing basis (two people in a room). Meals at the hotel are on Bed and Breakfast.
● Intermediate and advanced hikers are welcome to join this expedition. Average understanding of high-altitude hiking and hiking gear layering is beneficial.
● The climb is NOT suitable for beginners.
Required Travel Documents
● Passport or temporary permit
● Yellow fever vaccination certificate
● COVID-19 vaccination certificate
- East African Citizens - $595
This expedition is currently open to East African citizens only. We will expand registration to non-East Africans in future schedules.