Elephant Hill and Mt Kinangop Southern Breach
Elephant Hill X Mt. Kinangop Southern Breach
We march on in the new Altomatum challenge by traversing the unequally yoked Southern Nyandarua twins with the worst reputation. Whether this is your first time attempting either Elephant Hill or Kinangop, you have heard of the notoriety of the two trails.
We leave Nairobi at 3:30 in the morning and drive to the Njabini Forest station, aiming to hit the trail by 6:00 a.m. Our hike takes us 9km to the Elephant Hill summit, down and up the treacherous climb to the Kinangop peak in 6km, back up a steep climb to the Elephant Hill Summit, and down to exit the Njabini Gate.
Elephant Hill X Kinangop Southern Breach Distance & Stats
Hiking Distance: 30km
Maximum Elevation: 3,906m
Total Elevation Gain: 2,009m
Hiking time: 12-14 hours
Elephant Hill X Kinangop Southern Breach Itinerary
3:15 a.m Meet up at International House Parking, City Hall Way. Boarding opens.
3:30 a.m Departure for Njabini Forest Station.
05:30 a.m Arrival at Njabini Forest Station.
06:00 a.m Hike Starts
01:00 p.m Mandatory turn-back and descent in order to avoid encounters with wild animals after dusk
EST 07:30 p.m Departure for Nairobi
Mode of hiking: Time target-based
You shall receive targets to evaluate your progress throughout the hike. The entire group’s turn-back time is 1:00 p.m.
- Kenyan Citizens - 4,950/=
- Foreigner with Kenyan Residency - 5,150/=
- Non-Resident Foreigner - 14,700/=
- Citizen Self-drive - 3,100/=
Mpesa Till 989985
How to Prepare for the Hike
- Engage in active cardio exercises such as aerobics, walking, running, cycling, and swimming among others the week prior to the event.
- Set aside the day before the hike for resting--take a break from exercises.
- Increase your hydration at least two days to the hike.
- Purpose to get enough rest the night before the hike.
- If on intermittent fasting or on a diet, take a break in the period one day before and after the hike. This way, you will build up your energy reserves for the arduous task ahead.
- Cut your toe nails!
- Have a generous breakfast at least 3 hours before the start of the hike. This ensures that most of the food has been digested by the time you begin the hike, giving you the much-needed energy while ensuring your stomach is not too full for comfort.
- Use the bathroom before leaving the house to reduce the need for bathroom breaks on the commute.
- Set your mind up for conquering yourself. Hiking is more about your mindset than physical preparation. Once you win the battle in your mind, everything else contributes less than 10%. You can do it!